- Black foam board (16 x 20)
- Chalkboard markers
- Gold thumbtacks
- Sharpie pen
- Colored cardstock paper
- Circle Cutter
Okay, so let’s get started. Begin by using your circle cutter to create the circles that will represent each day of the month. We used the EK Success Circle Scissor Pro, which is a really great tool because it allows you to determine the size of your circles, whereas circle punchers will only allow you to create circles of a single size. Trust me, you’ll get your money’s worth with this tool.
Our circles are 3 inches in diameter (that is, the length from one end of the circle to the other). You can make your circles larger, depending on the size of the foam board you choose. Choose different shades of the same color (like pink!) to create an ombre effect. You’ll need FIVE circles of each color to represent each day leading to Christmas.
Next, plan the layout of your board by placing it flat on your work surface. So you’ll place five rows of five circles, keeping them about an inch apart. Once you’ve got each circle placed exactly where you want it, stick a thumbtack right in the top center of the circle.
Now, this is the fun part (get ready to rub your hands together with excitement)! Come up with some great ideas for the month of December or you can get some inspiration from our list below…
ADVENT CALENDAR ACTIVITY IDEAS:
- Deck the halls! – Spend the day decorating every inch of your home
- Make handwritten cards
- Do a DIY holiday craft
- Explore international holiday traditions – learn how other cultures celebrate the advent season
- Volunteer! – Share your time with a local charity
- Read the 1st Christmas Story
- Make homemade ornaments and eat special holiday treats (like hot cocoa, gingerbread cookies, eggnog, etc.)
- Donate! – Give away old toys or buy new items for charity
- Play reindeer games – Host a game night and invite all your friends
- #Merry Christmas – Tweet, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube about what brings you joy during the holidays
- Decorate a gingerbread house
- Candlelight & Carols – eat dinner by candlelight and then sing Christmas carols
- Make a Christmas gift – make something cool and give it to friends, family or coworkers
- Make a video for Christmas day – Record a video full of Christmas cheer and send it loved ones on Christmas day
- Do You Wanna Build a Snowman? – Build a snowman! If there’s no snow, make one out of unconventional materials
- Random acts of kindness – Leave kind notes, pay for a stranger’s Starbucks order, give an unexpected gift, etc.
- See a Christmas show – See a holiday play like A Christmas Carol or check out The Nutcracker at a local theater
- Read Christmas books – The Polar Express, Twas the Night Before Christmas, The Little Drummer Boy, etc.
- See the lights – Drive through a nearby park’s light display or just roam through your neighborhood
- Go ice skating
- Christmas tree slumber party – Lay down pillows and blankets and sleep around the Christmas tree. We are always having slumber parties in our house. In fact, we have just invested in some new mattresses to keep our guests as comfortable as possible when they sleep over at our house! We found some amazing mattresses at a great price online by doing a little research. Tempted to invest in some new mattresses for your next slumber party? You can Find out more on Bestmattress-brand.
- Ugly Christmas Sweater Day! – Throw a themed party or just rock your ugliest Christmas sweater for the day
- Play Christmas movie bingo – Host a movie night and be sure to use our Christmas movie bingo free printable.
- Play normal bingo – Who doesn’t like a good old game of bingo at Christmas? After you’ve played Christmas movie bingo, all you need to do is create your own bingo cards, get some dabbers, have a prize and you’re good to go. Moreover, playing on sites like Swanky Bingo (visit the website here) is also an option to consider too. It’s a great way to have fun and make some extra cash in the holidays, so if you are looking for some fresh new online sites then you can check out these new online bingo sites. So, which one of you is going to reign supreme?
- Throw a Christmas party – Invite all your favorite people and rock around the Christmas tree
- Have a Merry Christmas!